Re: Needless additional partition check in INSERT?

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Needless additional partition check in INSERT?
Date: 2018-06-07 00:00:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7 June 2018 at 09:08, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I wonder if we should create a new small function that takes the two
> resultRelInfos and returns the correct boolean --maybe something like
> ExecConstraintsPartConstrNeedsRecheck()-- and then the smarts are in a
> single place and we diminish the risk of a divergence. It looks like a
> very ad-hoc thing to have a function for, but then the new argument to
> ExecConstraints() *is* pretty ad-hoc already, so encapsulating it seems
> better.

Hi Alvaro,

Thanks for looking at this. I thought it was strange to pass in both
resultRelInfos. I ended up just making the 2nd param a bool to
indicate of tuple routing was used.

I'm personally not really for or against having the function. I agree
that it's slightly weird, but anyway, here's the patch. I'll leave it
up to you to which one you prefer, v3 or v4.

Attachment Content-Type Size
remove_needless_additional_partition_check_v4.patch application/octet-stream 5.5 KB