Re: BUG #15572: Misleading message reported by "Drop function operation" on DB with functions having same name

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #15572: Misleading message reported by "Drop function operation" on DB with functions having same name
Date: 2019-01-15 23:38:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 13:36, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > Why can't we just remove the !noError check in the location where the
> > error is raised?
>
> I don't like that a bit --- the point of noError is to prevent throwing
> errors, and it doesn't seem like it should be LookupFuncName's business
> to decide it's smarter than its callers. Maybe we need another flag
> argument?

Well, I guess you didn't have backpatching this in mind. The reason I
thought it was okay to hijack that flag was that the ambiguous error
was only raised when the function parameters were not defined. I
chased around and came to the conclusion this only happened during
DROP. Maybe that's a big assumption as it certainly might not help
future callers passing nargs as -1.

I've attached another version with a newly added flag.

Attachment Content-Type Size
drop_func_if_not_exists_fix_v2.patch application/octet-stream 17.7 KB