Re: 9.5 new features

From: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Vik Fearing <vik(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.5 new features
Date: 2016-01-23 09:55:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On 23 January 2016 at 22:41, Vik Fearing <vik(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
> On 01/23/2016 10:28 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> anyways, yeah, BRIN sounds very cool for very large tables with
>> relatively stable data.
>
> I have found it particularly efficient when the BRIN index contains all
> columns of the table. Just using it on one or two columns is not a win
> over btree.

I've found it to be very useful for very large INSERT only tables with
a column which increments with each insert, e.g. a timestamp. This
allows large portions on the table to be skipped during a scan, and
also maintains sequential read speeds which I don't think would work
quite as efficiently with btree index performing heap lookups.