Re: Performance regressions in PG 9.3 vs PG 9.0

From: uher dslij <codon3(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance regressions in PG 9.3 vs PG 9.0
Date: 2014-04-09 00:16:30
Lists: pgsql-performance

Thanks for your reply Tom. I've found that the culprit is the function
parentContainers(), which recurses in a folder structure and looks like
this:

create function parentContainers(numeric) returns setof numeric
as '
select parentContainers( (select container_id from container where id =
$1 ) )
union
select id from container where id = $1
' language sql stable returns null on null input;

Is is declared stable, but I know that is just planner hint, so it doesn't
guarantee that it will only get called once. If I replace the function
call with the two values this function returns,