Re: ~/.psqlrc file is ignored

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: vstuart <mail(at)victoriasjourney(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ~/.psqlrc file is ignored
Date: 2017-07-19 19:02:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 11:49 AM, vstuart <mail(at)victoriasjourney(dot)com> wrote:

> As a simple solution, I can sudo symlink MY ~/.psqlrc to that directory
> (/var/...; changing ownership also to postgres), but there appears to be
> some underlying issue, as Pg should find ~/.psqlrc, correct?

​What does "your" ~/.psqlrc have to do with any of this? If you are
executing psql while masquarding at the postgres user its the postgres
user's​ ~/.psqlrc file that will be looked for.

Typically one doesn't execute psql as the postgres user. They configure
the system so that they can execute psql as a regular user. You should
probably do that and then everything should work like you are thinking.

David J.