Re: Draft release notes for next week's releases

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Draft release notes for next week's releases
Date: 2016-03-28 03:51:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Probably the most discussion-worthy item is whether we can say
> > anything more about the strxfrm mess. Should we make a wiki
> > page about that and have the release note item link to it?
>
> I think that there is an argument against doing so, which is that
> right now, all we have to offer on that are weasel words. However, I'm
> still in favor of a Wiki page, because I would not be at all surprised
> if our understanding of this problem evolved, and we were able to
> offer better answers in several weeks. Realistically, it will probably
> take at least that long before affected users even start to think
> about this.

​One question to debate is whether placing a list of "known" (collated from
the program runs lots of people performed) would do more harm than good.
Personally I'd rather see a list of known failures and evaluate my
situation objectively (i.e., large index but no reported problem on my
combination of locale and platform). I understand that a lack of evidence
is not proof that I am unaffected at this stage in the game. Having
something I can execute on my server to try and verify behavior -
irrespective of the correctness of the indexes themselves - would be
welcomed.

David J.