Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly
Date: 2021-07-15 16:25:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 9:16 AM Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Eh, and
>> pg_upgrade [other switches] --upgrade-extensions
>> sounds good too ...
>>

> Ultimately I believe this is the solution, however we still need to teach
> extensions how to upgrade themselves or emit a message saying they can't,
> or even ignore if it truly is a NOP.

If it's opt-in and simple I don't really care but I doubt I would use it as
personally I'd rather the upgrade not touch my application at all (to the
extent possible) and just basically promise that I'll get a reliable
upgrade. Then I'll go ahead and ensure I have the backups of the new
version and that my application works correctly, then just run the "ALTER
EXTENSION" myself. But anything that will solve pain points for
same-PostgreSQL-version extension upgrading is great.

I would say that it probably should be "--upgrade-extension=aaa
--upgrade_extension=bbb" though if we are going to the effort to offer
something.

David J.