Re: BUG #14464: Problems about FUNCTIONS

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ágile Sistema <syspegasus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #14464: Problems about FUNCTIONS
Date: 2016-12-13 19:52:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 9:42 AM, <syspegasus(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference: 14464
>
> Hi, I'm with problems about functions.
> When I execute a select with Function is very slow, and when I execute
> repeating the code of the existing function inside my SQL is faster.
> I need to centralize my code, because of that I'm using functions, but is
> very very slow..
> Please how can I use Function and become faster? I need to centralize the
> SQL

This list is intended for reporting bugs in PostgreSQL. This request for
help is not that. Please choose a more appropriate list -
pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org suffices as a catch-all.

​That said, you'll likely find improvement by choosing the correct language
to write your function in. Namely, choose SQL unless and until you are
forced to choose pl/pgsql. As you are simply embedding a single SELECT
query you do not use any features that are only present in pl/pgsql.

David J.