Re: Allowing dash character in LTREE

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Cyril Auburtin <cyril(dot)auburtin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allowing dash character in LTREE
Date: 2017-05-20 16:31:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 1:27 AM, Cyril Auburtin <cyril(dot)auburtin(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> It could be useful to allow the `-` char in allowed LTREE label characters (currently
> a-zA-Z0-9_ https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/ltree.html)
>
> The reason is to allow to use more easily base64 ids, (like
> https://github.com/dylang/shortid, ...), uuid's too in labels
>
> `-` is also not used as a query operator as a plus
>

> source: https://doxygen.postgresql.org/ltree_8h.html#a
> 1cb5d5dd0c364d720854e8a250967dd1

​This is the third time you've posted this suggestion. Its been seen by
the people you are sending it to.

I don't follow how this helps for UUID - they are not usually generated
hierarchically​...

I'll +1 the thought, but I won't be providing a patch.

David J.