Re: Postgres 11 release notes

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres 11 release notes
Date: 2018-06-09 20:35:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 8:08 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> I have committed the first draft of the Postgres 11 release notes. I
> will add more markup soon. You can view the most current version here:
>
> http://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-11.html

​Some thoughts:​

​As a major ​item:
""""
JIT compilation of some SQL code, including support for fast evaluation of
expressions
""""

leaves me wondering what the general benefit is to the user. Also,
spelling out "Just-In-Time (JIT)" here seems warranted.

"""
No longer retain WAL that spans two checkpoints (Simon Riggs)

The retention of WAL records for only one checkpoint is required.
"""

Maybe: "Servers now only ensure that a single checkpoint record is present
in the locally retained WAL. Previously it would ensure at least two
checkpoints were available for recovery."

"""
Also, if any table mentioned in VACUUM uses a column list, then ANALYZE
keyword must be supplied; previously ANALYZE was implied in such cases.
"""

Should that be mentioned in the compatibility notes?

"""
Add the ability to define PL/pgSQL record types as not null, constant, or
with initial values (Tom Lane)
"""

Found the commit message for this one - should we back-patch a
documentation change indicating that this doesn't work prior to v11?

David J.