AFTER UPDATE trigger updating other records

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "harding(dot)ian(at)gmail(dot)com" <harding(dot)ian(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: General PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: AFTER UPDATE trigger updating other records
Date: 2018-01-25 19:10:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018, Ian Harding <harding(dot)ian(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> -- This is not what I expect to see. I have even tried running the update
> -- unrestricted from within the trigger but I get the same result. From
> -- outside the trigger I run the update unrestricted...
>
> UPDATE area SET areapath = (select areapath from area a where areaid =
> area.parentid) || subpath(areapath, nlevel(areapath) - 1) where parentid is
> not null;
>
> -- And I see what I expected.

I'd start thinking that the function that the trigger is executing is not
the one that I am editing. Adding raise notice to the function should give
you some confirmation as to what is firing.

Are rows beside the one your are updating not changing or not changing
correctly.

A self-contained example script would help you with isolation and us if you
still cannot figure it out after writing one.

David J.