Re: documentation structure

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: documentation structure
Date: 2024-03-21 22:57:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 11:30 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> My second thought is that the stuff from "VII. Internals" that I
> categorized as reference material should move into section "VI.
> Reference". I think we should also consider moving appendix F,
> "Additional Supplied Modules and Extensions," and appendix G,
> "Additional Supplied Programs" to the reference section.

For "VI. Reference" I propose the following Chapters:

SQL Commands
PL/pgSQL
Cumulative Statistics Views
System Views
System Catalogs
Client Applications
Server Applications
Modules and Extensions

-- Remove Appendix G (Programs) altogether and just note for the two that
are listed that they are in contrib as opposed to core.

-- The PostgreSQL qualifier doesn't seem helpful and once you add the
additional chapters its unusual presence stands out even more.

-- PL/pgSQL gets its own reference chapter since we wrote it. Stuff like
Perl and Python have entire books that the user can consult as reference
material for those languages.

David J.