Re: documentation fix for SET ROLE

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: documentation fix for SET ROLE
Date: 2021-03-08 23:48:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 4:41 PM David G. Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 6:18 PM Bossart, Nathan <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/17/21 2:12 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
>> > On Wednesday, February 17, 2021, Bossart, Nathan <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com
>> > <mailto:bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>> wrote:
>> >

>> > postgres=# ALTER ROLE test1 SET ROLE test2;
>> > ALTER ROLE
>> >

>> > I would not have expected this to work - “role” isn’t a
>> > configuration_parameter. Its actually cool that it does, but this doc
>> fix
>> > should address this oversight as well.
>>
>> Here's a patch that adds "role" and "session authorization" as
>> configuration parameters, too.
>>

> You will want to add this to the commitfest if you haven't already.
>
> I would suggest adding a section titled "Identification" and placing these
> under that.
>
> Reading it over it looks good. One point though: SET and SET ROLE are
> indeed "at run-time" (not 'run time'). ALTER ROLE and ALTER DATABASE
> should be considered "at connection-time" just like the command-line
> options.

Also, as a nearby email just reminded me, the determination of which role
name is used to figure out default settings is the presented user name, not
the one that would result from a connection-time role change as described
here - though this should be tested, and then documented.

David J.