Re: Option to not use ringbuffer in VACUUM, using it in failsafe mode

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Option to not use ringbuffer in VACUUM, using it in failsafe mode
Date: 2023-01-12 00:26:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 2:39 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2023-01-11 16:18:34 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> writes:
> ringbuffers when
> of dead
> >
> > > That's a fair point.
> >
> > > My vote goes to "REUSE_BUFFERS", then.
> >
> > I wonder whether it could make sense to allow a larger ringbuffer size,
> > rather than just the limit cases of "on" and "off".
>
> I can see that making sense, particularly if we were to later extend this
> other users of ringbuffers. E.g. COPYs us of the ringbuffer makes loading
> of
> data > 16MB but also << s_b vastly slower, but it can still be very
> important
> to use if there's lots of parallel processes loading data.

Should we just add "ring_buffers" to the existing "shared_buffers" and
"temp_buffers" settings?

Then give VACUUM a (BUFFER_POOL=ring*|shared) option?

I think making DBAs aware of this dynamic and making the ring buffer usage
user-facing is beneficial in its own right (at least, the concept that
changes done by vacuum don't impact shared_buffers, regardless of how that
non-impact manifests). But I don't see much benefit trying to come up with
a different name.

David J.