Re: BUG #14500: error message displays "schema dot relation" in double quotes all together

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: vodevsh(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #14500: error message displays "schema dot relation" in double quotes all together
Date: 2017-01-17 15:19:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 4:09 AM, <vodevsh(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference: 14500
> Logged by: Vladimir Svedov
> Email address: vodevsh(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.6.1
> Operating system: Linux
>
> Hi,
> I'm not sure if it's a bug or feature, but I find error message misleading.
> ERROR: relation [“schema_name.table_name”] does not exist gives an
> impression that schema name is part of relation name. Should not it be
> ERROR: relation [“schema name”].["table_name"] does not exist instead? I
> doubt it's a bug, because this message seems version not specific. But does
> not it look wrong?

​I see the confusion but supposedly you'd have to write your alternate
version:

relation ""schema_name"."table_name"" does not exist - and the excess of
quotes in that situation would be problematic.

More to the point, the double quotes are not part of the identifiers but
rather offset the item being named from the rest of the sentence fragment.
​The portion within the quotes is case-sensitive and reflects that value
being looked up after any case-folding happens.

Its definitely not a bug and doesn't seem like something that would be
worth it to change.

David J.