Re: DROP OWNED BY fails with #53200: ERROR: out of shared memory

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dominique Devienne <ddevienne(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DROP OWNED BY fails with #53200: ERROR: out of shared memory
Date: 2022-01-10 21:08:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 12:09 PM Dominique Devienne <ddevienne(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Given max_locks_per_transaction * (max_connections
> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-connection.html#GUC-MAX-CONNECTIONS>
> + max_prepared_transactions
> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-resource.html#GUC-MAX-PREPARED-TRANSACTIONS>)
> from
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-locks.html, and
> max_conn being 100, that's not many locks.
>
> Tom wrote "relation" for the number of locks necessary for DROP OWNED BY.
> What does it mean in this context? relation = table?

I'm confused here a bit as well. The items being talked about are tables
and indexes, both of which manifest as files on the filesystem. But not
all relations do (e.g., views). But if this isn't tied to the filesystem
then I would expect that other object types, especially functions, would
require locking as well, but those are decidedly not relations.

> How do I determine the current value, and change it?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config.html
(you already used the SHOW command to determine the current value)

David J.