Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Jim Nasby <jim(dot)nasby(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column
Date: 2024-01-28 20:41:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 1:29 PM Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
wrote:

> I'd suggest pulling out this system view change into its own patch.
>

> But within this thread or new one?

Thread. The subject line needs to make clear we are proposing changing a
system view.

The connection limit can be set to 0. What should be displayed in this
case, blank or 0?

> 0 or even "not allowed" to make it clear

> The connection limit can be set for superusers. What should be displayed in this case,
> blank or actual non-effective value?
>
> print "# (ignored)" ?

CREATE|ALTER ROLE commands allow incorrect values to be set for 'Conn
limit' and 'Valid until'.
> How can the administrator see them and fix them?

That is unfortunate...but they can always go look at the actual system
view. Or do what i showed above and add (invalid) after the real value.
Note I'm only really talking about -1 here being the value that is simply
hidden from display since it means unlimited and not actually -1

I'd be more inclined to print "forever" for valid until since the existing
presentation of a timestamp is already multiple characters. Using a word
for a column that is typically a number is less appealing.

David J.