Re: Finally upgrading to 9.6!

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Finally upgrading to 9.6!
Date: 2017-10-18 18:46:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
wrote:

> I am not sure why this is even a question. There are plenty of businesses
> that can risk the deployment of a .0 release but there are also *MANY THAT
> CAN NOT*. The proper way to do this is to have a staging server running the
> .0 release that gets beaten on by the application for a few months and
> reports anything back to the community they find.

The continuum goes from having a staging server follow master/HEAD to
upgrading one version once a year as the earliest supported release gets
de-supported. The closer to the first position you are contributing back
to the community and also the more quickly you can benefit from the new
features and enhancements each new release brings.

David J.