Re: plpgsql multidimensional array assignment results in array of text instead of subarrays

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Rasmussen <michaelr(at)porch(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plpgsql multidimensional array assignment results in array of text instead of subarrays
Date: 2015-12-28 23:48:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 4:39 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Michael Rasmussen <michaelr(at)porch(dot)com> writes:
> > I am trying to iterate through a multidimensional array using a foreach
> loop, as exampled in the documentation at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/plpgsql-control-structures.html#PLPGSQL-FOREACH-ARRAY
> .
>
> create type textarray as (t text[]);

​or a more semantically meaning one...the use of the inner array is
arguably a hack here meant to avoid the overhead and new type creation by
assigning meaning to array slots.

​i.e.,​

create type table_with_schema (name text, schema text);

I would likewise attempt to do away with the outer array as well if the
overall structure of the example follows reality closely enough.

​David J.