Re: BUG #17469: postgresql-11.service file not configured to match setup/initdb options specified

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #17469: postgresql-11.service file not configured to match setup/initdb options specified
Date: 2022-04-28 23:58:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 4:42 PM PG Bug reporting form <
noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Bug reference: 17469
> Logged by: Joe Hebert
> Email address: jhebert(at)micron(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 11.11
> Operating system: RHEL 8.5
>
> After researching further, I reviewed file
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/postgresql-11.service
> and found the following offending line:
> Environment=PGDATA=/var/lib/pgsql/11/data/
>
> Which should have been set to /postgres/data/datafiles based in the option
> provided to the initdb command.

I'm curious to know where you got the idea that initdb integrated with
systemd. I'm under the impression it doesn't. PostgreSQL core doesn't
generally deal with such platform-specific concerns (i.e., it isn't a
feature enhancement we would consider).

If you go against the conventions of your packaged distribution (or do not
avail yourself of its tooling) you have to do the customizations yourself.

David J.