Re: Add important info about ANALYZE after create Functional Index

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fabrízio Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add important info about ANALYZE after create Functional Index
Date: 2020-10-28 19:14:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 12:05 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> This doesn't seem clearly different from any other situation where
> auto-analyze doesn't react fast enough to suit you.

> I would not
> call it a bug, at least not without a wholesale redefinition of
> how auto-analyze is supposed to work.

The definition of auto-analyze is just fine; the issue is with the user
unfriendly position that the only times analyze is ever run is when it is
run manually or heuristically in a separate process. I agree that this
isn't a bug in the traditional sense - the current behavior is intentional
- but it is a POLA violation.

The fundamental question here is do we want to change our policy in this
regard and make our system more user-friendly? If so, let's do so for v14
in honor of the problem the lack of documentation and POLA violation has
recently caused.

Then, as a separate concern, should we admit the oversight and back-patch
our policy change or just move forward and add documentation to older
versions?

> As a close analogy, we
> don't make any effort to force an immediate auto-analyze after
> CREATE STATISTICS.

At least we have been consistent...

David J.