How do I install/run PostgreSQL 9.4 64 bit on Windows 7 Professional?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andre_Mikulec <Andre_Mikulec(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How do I install/run PostgreSQL 9.4 64 bit on Windows 7 Professional?
Date: 2015-05-01 05:07:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thursday, April 30, 2015, Andre_Mikulec <Andre_Mikulec(at)hotmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> No, the server never starts.
>
> As, I said; firewall disabled, secure essentials disabled, antivirus
> disabled
>
> I also made the following changes and retried
>
> postgresql.conf
> listen_addresses = '*'
>
> pg_hba.conf
> host all all 0.0.0.0/0 trust
>
> Same response being produced by pg_ctl
>
> LOG: incomplete startup packet
> LOG: could not receive data from client: No connection could be made
> because the target machine actively refused it.
>
> This seems to be a DEEP problem.
> Does any one in the WORLD run PostgreSQL on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit?

You do understand there is more than one way to install PostgreSQL? The
core project doesn't directly support anything but source code installs.
You should be asking whomever you got your installer from for help. Or,
lacking that, consider a different distribution. Because I am sure that
not everyone in the world is subscribed to this list. And troubleshooting
Windows over email is not the easiest or most desirable thing to do - even
if there is someone on this list who recognizes what this "Portable
PostgreSQL" thing is.

David J.