Re: A modest proposal vis hierarchical queries: MINUS in the column list

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mark Zellers <mark(dot)zellers(at)workday(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A modest proposal vis hierarchical queries: MINUS in the column list
Date: 2021-06-07 21:36:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 1:54 PM Mark Zellers <mark(dot)zellers(at)workday(dot)com>
wrote:

> Failing that, I have a modest suggestion that I would like to start a
> discussion around. What if you could use the MINUS keyword in the column
> list of a select statement to remove a column from the result set returned
> to the client?

I asked this a decade ago and got no useful responses.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/02e901cc2bb4%2476bc2090%24643461b0%24%40yahoo.com#3784fab26b0f946b3239266e3b70a6ce

I will say I've still had the itch to want it occasionally in the years
since, though not frequently.

David J.