Re: [DOCS] Stats views and functions not in order?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Stats views and functions not in order?
Date: 2022-11-16 21:46:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 6:39 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I was also wondering (but have not yet done) if the content *outside*
> the tables should be reordered to match the table 28.1/28.2 order.
>
> Thoughts?

I would love to do away with the ToC listing of view names in 28.2
altogether.

Also, make it so each view ends up being its own separate page.

The name of the views in the table should then be the hyperlinks to those
pages.

Basically the way Chapter 54.1 works. Though the interplay between the top
Chapter 54 and 54.1 is a bit repetitive.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/views.html

I wonder whether having the table be structured but the ToC be purely
alphabetical would be considered a good idea...

The tables need hyperlinks regardless. I wouldn't insist on changing the
ordering to match the table, especially with the hyperlinks, but I also
wouldn't reject it. Figuring out how to make them one-per-page would be
time better spent though.

David J.