Re: [BUGS] Failure to coerce unknown type to specific type

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Failure to coerce unknown type to specific type
Date: 2015-04-23 09:29:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 1:07 AM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <
horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> Hello, I think this is a bug.
>
> The core of this problem is that coerce_type() fails for Var of
> type UNKNOWNOID.
>
> The comment for the function says that,
>
> > * The caller should already have determined that the coercion is
> possible;
> > * see can_coerce_type.
>
> But can_coerce_type() should say it's possible to convert from
> unknown to any type as it doesn't see the target node type. I
> think this as an inconsistency between can_coerce_type and
> coerce_type. So making this consistent would be right way.

​You have two pieces of contradictory knowledge - how are you picking which
one to "fix"?​

Concerning only this issue, putting on-the-fly conversion for
> unkown nonconstant as attached patch worked for me. I'm not so
> confident on this, though..

​Confident about what aspect - the safety of the patch itself or whether
the conversion is even a good idea?​

David J.​