Re: Add jsonb_compact(...) for whitespace-free jsonb to text

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Ryan Pedela <rpedela(at)datalanche(dot)com>, Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add jsonb_compact(...) for whitespace-free jsonb to text
Date: 2016-04-29 16:08:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 7:15 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Andrew mentions several solutions. I like them all except I would
> prefer not to introduce a GUC for controlling the output format. I do
> not think it's a good idea to set the expectation that clients can
> rely on text out byte for byte for any type including json.
>
> ​+1​

​I agree on the GUC point and on the general ​desirability of making jsonb
output not include insignificant whitespace.

​There seems to be enough coders who agree to this principle: could one of
you please write a patch and start a new thread specifically for this
change. If we go that route the need for the subject of this thread
becomes moot.

Thanks!

David J.