Re: BUG #17734: Doc bug: "initial database user" used where "bootstrap superuser" is meant

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "bryn(at)yugabyte(dot)com" <bryn(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #17734: Doc bug: "initial database user" used where "bootstrap superuser" is meant
Date: 2022-12-29 20:35:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thursday, December 29, 2022, PG Bug reporting form <
noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Bug reference: 17734
> Logged by: Bryn Llewellyn
> Email address: bryn(at)yugabyte(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 15.0
> Operating system: macOS Big Sur Version 11.7.
>
> See «37.1. The Schema»
> (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/infoschema-schema.html):
>
> «
> This schema automatically exists in all databases. The owner of this schema
> is the initial database user in the cluster, and that user naturally has
> all
> the privileges on this schema...
> »
>
> See this "pgsql-general" thread:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/8A2C8B1B-470B-42F9-
> 9694-C1EDDAC06266(at)yugabyte(dot)com(dot)
>
> It concluded with the decision the the proper term for the role that the
> thread discusses is "bootstrap superuser". The proper term should therefore
> be used consistently throughout the PG docs.

Yeah, we’ve come to an agreement on terminology but there is work to be
done to fix up the documentation to match. I’ve got a thread out here
somewhere with a first pass at it. I’ve flagged this report to incorporate
into the second pass. Whether that patch is ultimately deemed a
back-patchable bug fix hasn’t been discussed though I’m mostly figuring it
will be a v16 improvement only. I’m not pushing to get something out
before the next minor release in any case.

David J.