Re: Re: issue: record or row variable cannot be part of multiple-item INTO list

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anthony Bykov <a(dot)bykov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: issue: record or row variable cannot be part of multiple-item INTO list
Date: 2017-09-19 20:39:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Aside from being inconsistent, it doesn't cover all
> the cases --- what if you have just one query output column, that is
> composite, and you'd like it to go into a composite variable? That
> doesn't work today, and this patch doesn't fix it, but it does create
> enough confusion that we never would be able to fix it.

Actually, this does work, just not the way one would immediately expect.

​ct1: (text, text)​

DO $$
SELECT ('1', '2')::ct1 INTO c1;
RAISE NOTICE '%', c1;
END;
$$;

​Notice: ("(1,2)",)

And so, yes, my thinking has a backward compatibility problem. But one
that isn't fixable when constrained by backward compatibility - whether
this patch goes in or not.

David J.