Re: SQL/PostgreSQL - Error observed in the QUERY not caught by the “EXCEPTION” block in the stored procedure

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Eduardo Lúcio Amorim Costa <eduardolucioac(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SQL/PostgreSQL - Error observed in the QUERY not caught by the “EXCEPTION” block in the stored procedure
Date: 2020-01-26 06:53:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 5:32 PM Eduardo Lúcio Amorim Costa <
eduardolucioac(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions! I found it a bit strange "pgsql" not to
> "understand" as an exception the "ERROR: missing chunk number 0 for toast
> value 3483039 in pg_toast_3473493"

Please inline or bottom-post here.

I think Tom's point is that the function you wrote never actually attempted
to print out the value of the field so the error never got triggered in the
function. You need to actually attempt to manipulate the data to get an
error. If you did get the function to actually encounter the error it
should (haven't tested myself) be caught in the exception handler; i.e., "A
more reliable way to trigger the problem is to do some computation
that requires the value of the field, perhaps along the lines of [query to
try]".

David J.