Re: Small docs bugfix: make it clear what can be used in UPDATE FROM and DELETE USING

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexey Bashtanov <bashtanov(at)imap(dot)cc>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Small docs bugfix: make it clear what can be used in UPDATE FROM and DELETE USING
Date: 2020-02-13 15:04:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 4:13 AM Alexey Bashtanov <bashtanov(at)imap(dot)cc> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Currently the documentation says that one can put "a list of table
> expressions"
> after FROM in UPDATE or after USING in DELETE.
> However, "table expression" is defined as a complex of
> FROM, WHERE, GROUP BY and HAVING clauses [1].
> The thing one can list in the FROM clause in a comma-separated manner
> is called a table reference [2].
> SELECT reference does not use this term but explains what they could be
> [3].
>
> Please could someone have a look at the patch attached?
> It's not just pedantry but rather based on a real-life example of
> someone reading and being not sure
> whether e.g. joins can be used in there.
>
> Best, Alex
>
> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/queries-table-expressions.html
> [2]
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/queries-table-expressions.html#QUERIES-FROM
> [3] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-select.html#SQL-FROM

Drive-by comment - I'm on board with the idea but I do not believe this
patch accomplishes the goal.

IMO there is too much indirection happening and trying to get terms exactly
right, so the user can find or remember them from elsewhere in the
documentation, doesn't seem like the best solution. The material isn't
that extensive and since it is covered elsewhere a little bit more
explicitness in the DELETE and FROM documentation seems like a better path
forward.

David J.