Postgres and --config-file option

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres and --config-file option
Date: 2024-01-14 00:36:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Saturday, January 13, 2024, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 13, 2024 at 01:39:50PM +0300, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
>
> > Should we remove --config-file from the error message to avoid any
> > confusion? Should we correct --help output? Should we update the
> > documentation?
>
> It might be worthwhile to update the documentation if it would've helped
> prevent confusion here.

Pointing out the long form in the -c definition makes sense.

As for the help message, I’d minimally add:

“You must specify the --config-file (or equivalent -c) or -D invocation …”

I’m fine with the status quo regarding the overview documentation
mentioning both forms. I also haven’t tested whether PGOPTIONS accepts
both forms or only the -c form as presently documented. Presently the
—name=value form seems discouraged in favor of -c which I’m ok with and
trying to mention both everywhere seems needlessly verbose. But I’d be
interested in reviewing against an informed patch improving this area more
broadly than dealing with this single deviant usage. I do like this
specific usage of the long-form option.

David J.