Re: Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations
Date: 2016-01-28 04:54:30
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 9:13 PM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 9:34 AM, David G. Johnston
> <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > So how about:
> >
> > + snprintf(title, strlen(myopt.title) + 50,
> > + _("Watch every %lds\t%s\t%s"),
> > + sleep, head_title, asctime(localtime(&timer)));
>
> I would just keep the timestamp and the title separated so what do you
> think about that instead?
> Watch every Xs $timestamp
> $head_title

​That works. I like having the title immediately above the table.

The other option that came to mind would be to place the time information
after the table display while leaving the title before it. On an output
that requires more vertical space than is available in the terminal one
would no longer have to scroll up to confirm last execution time. If doing
this I'd probably get rid of any logic that attempts to center the time
information on the table and simply leave it left-aligned.

David J.​