Re: tx canceled on standby despite infinite max_standby_streaming_delay

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jay Howard <jhoward(at)alumni(dot)utexas(dot)net>
Cc: Venkata Balaji N <nag1010(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tx canceled on standby despite infinite max_standby_streaming_delay
Date: 2016-05-15 23:15:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Its customary to bottom-post (or respond inline) on these lists.

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 7:01 PM, Jay Howard <jhoward(at)alumni(dot)utexas(dot)net>
wrote:

> Do you have hot_standby_feedback set to "on" ?
>>

> It was off. Will research that. Thank you!
>
> What is the parameter max_standby_archive_delay configured to ? This will
>> pause WAL archives from being applied when queries are executed on the
>> standby database.
>>

> It's set to the default, which is 30 seconds. For some reason I thought
> setting "max_standby_streaming_delay" to -1 would be sufficient.

​At minimum I think there is room for improvement in the documentation here
since I spent probably a good 15-20 minutes trying to find an answer
related to either vacuum or WAL accumulation and could not discover
anything that directly permitted your situation to occur.​

At a high level, what's the difference between the "archive_delay" and
> "streaming_delay"? I will read up on streaming replication in the mean
> time.

​http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/hot-standby.html​

​"""

When a conflicting query is short, it's typically desirable to allow it to
complete by delaying WAL application for a little bit; but a long delay in
WAL application is usually not desirable. So the cancel mechanism has
parameters, max_standby_archive_delay and max_standby_streaming_delay, that
define the maximum allowed delay in WAL application. Conflicting queries
will be canceled once it has taken longer than the relevant delay setting
to apply any newly-received WAL data. There are two parameters so that
different delay values can be specified for the case of reading WAL data
from an archive (i.e., initial recovery from a base backup or "catching up"
a standby server that has fallen far behind) versus reading WAL data via
streaming replication.
​"""

​David J.