Re: Default to TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Default to TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE?
Date: 2021-08-13 16:53:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 9:28 AM Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> The only hope is to eventually change the default, so probably
> the best thing is to apply pressure via the SQL Std process.

Then there is no hope because this makes the situation worse.

If anything I'd suggest the SQL standard should probably just admit this
"default behavior of timestamp" is a bad idea and deprecate its existence.
IOW, the only two standard conforming syntaxes are the
explicit WITH/WITHOUT TIME ZONE ones. Any database implementation that
implements "timestamp" as a type alias is doing so in an implementation
dependent way. Code that wants to be SQL standard conforming portable
needs to use the explicit types.

David J.