Re: documentation synopsis grammar

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Korim <pkorim(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: documentation synopsis grammar
Date: 2018-05-11 19:01:48
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Friday, May 11, 2018, David G. Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Friday, May 11, 2018, Peter Korim <pkorim(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Hallo
>>
>> I search for it and did notsucceeded.
>> Where is exact definition of the grammar used here?
>>
>> I thing the text "[,...]" is unclear concerning what is to be repeted.
>>

> Not that I've found, do you have an example?

Ok, I think I get your confusion now...

ANALYZE [ VERBOSE ] [ *table_name* [ ( *column_name* [, ...] ) ] ]

column_name can be repeated. If it is each name is separated from the
previous one by a comma. The brackets indicate optional repetition of the
immediately preceding element. The presence or absence of a comma in the
bracket indicates whether each option repeat needs a comma separator. It's
not the comma that is being repeated.

David J.