Re: Chapter 7. Queries

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: bilge(at)scriptfusion(dot)com, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Chapter 7. Queries
Date: 2020-09-15 01:03:54
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 2:37 AM PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/queries.html
>
> I like to browse documentation by index rather than searching.

What you describe is browsing the table of contents.

> The Postgres
> documentation is fairly well organized so this is easy for most topics.
> However, on the "Chapter 7. Queries" index page, I often think I am in the
> wrong place if I am looking for information about UNION or ORDER BY,
> because
> those keywords are missing from that page. Unlike all the other headings,
> the headings for these two topics does not include the relevant keywords in
> teletype. I think it is important to include the keywords, particularly for
> people whom already know which keyword they're looking for.

The "index" is an actual section and searching for both UNION and ORDER BY
turns up entries there.

For example, I propose the following changes:
> 7.4. Combining Queries -> 7.4. Combining Queries with UNION
> 7.5. Sorting Rows -> 7.5. Sorting Rows with ORDER BY

Given that 7.6 is named "LIMIT and OFFSET" I don't have an issue with
adding the relevant keywords (including EXCEPT and INTERSECT) in those two
places.

If there are other examples I've missed where a topic is bound to a specific
> keyword, they should updated similarly.

I didn't look for any...

David J.