Re: pg_dump with disable trigger

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Soni M <diptatapa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres Bug <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump with disable trigger
Date: 2018-04-10 23:46:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 4:17 PM, Soni M <diptatapa(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I think I found bug on pg_dump 9.6.8.
> The bug arise when using pg_dump with --disable-trigger option.
> The command just :
> pg_dump -f /tmp/test_disable_trigger.sql -a -b --disable-triggers -t
> some_table some_database
> On the resulted script, it simply did
>
> ALTER TABLE public.some_table DISABLE TRIGGER ALL;
> COPY command
> ALTER TABLE public.some_table ENABLE TRIGGER ALL;
>
> This become a problem, when the destination table already has Disabled
> user triggers, it gets enabled by the dump script.

I would classify this as a limitation of the concept as opposed to a bug.​
I was going to say a bit more but I'm not that fluent with disabled
triggers mode in dump/restore setups. I would advise using pg_restore and
leaving the disable triggers option of the pg_dump command. It lacks
sufficient information to write an appropriate script for an unknown target
server.

If you have issues with pg_restore those would be more easily be deemed as
bugs.

FWIW we have a "SET LOCAL" command that results in GUC variables being
restored to their state post-transaction; we'd need a similar command for
pg_dump to work properly.

It also altered another kind of trigger like Triggers firing on replica
> only, get altered to ordinary triggers.

​This seems like a bug - though I'm not going to be confirming the behavior
and you haven't provided evidence.

David J.