Abnormal JSON query performance

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "007reader(at)gmail(dot)com" <007reader(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Abnormal JSON query performance
Date: 2018-05-14 04:08:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sunday, May 13, 2018, <007reader(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> My interest is in fast access to data. On a relational table, the query
> time is about the same whether I have one or ten fields in a select
> statement. I’d love to see the same behavior when getting multiple keys
> from a JSON document.

I would hazard to say this is a solid desire and one shared by many. It is
also seemingly something that today has little or no precedent in
PostgreSQL. The lack is not a bug. Trying to use PostgreSQL in ways
contrary to a normalized relational database forces one to decide between
convenice of the platform versus suboptimal implementation when dealing
with this kind of situation. Discussion of those dynamics is better done
on the -general list, not -bugs.

David J.