Re: Add psql command to list constraints

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tatsuro Yamada <tatsuro(dot)yamada(dot)tf(at)nttcom(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add psql command to list constraints
Date: 2021-11-16 02:49:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Monday, November 15, 2021, David G. Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> If the only motivation for this is "feature completion" - since we have so
> many other \d commands already implemented - I say we should pass.

If anything, doing this for triggers would be a much better feature.

The other missing listing then would be columns. I would rather add both
columns and constraints, or neither. And add triggers regardless as their
combination of rarity and performance impact makes having them listable on
a \d command would be beneficial.

I also noticed that the “\dd” command would need to be modified (and maybe
deprecated if we actually do simply provide a listing for object type).

David J.