Re: DISCARD ALL (Again)

From: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DISCARD ALL (Again)
Date: 2014-04-18 02:07:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 04/17/2014 05:24 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On the whole I'm not sure this is something we ought to get into.
> > If you really need a fresh session, maybe you should start a
> > fresh session.

Isn't the whole point to avoid the reconnection overhead, especially for
connection poolers? DISCARD ALL shouldn't cause any cleanup that wouldn't
otherwise occur when a session disconnects. True global data (not just
session global) should be excluded.

A better wording of the promise would be: "discard all" leaves the session
in the same state it would be in if the underlying connection were dropped
and re-established.

David J.