Re: Fix output of zero privileges in psql

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Erik Wienhold <ewie(at)ewie(dot)name>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Erik Wienhold <ewie(at)mailbox(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix output of zero privileges in psql
Date: 2023-10-23 03:57:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 20, 2023 at 7:29 PM Erik Wienhold <ewie(at)ewie(dot)name> wrote:

> On 2023-10-20 22:35 +0200, David G. Johnston wrote:
> > In short, I don't want default privileges to start to obey \pset null
> when
> > it never has before and is documented as displaying the empty string. I
> do
> > want the empty string produced by empty privileges to change to (none) so
> > that it no longer is indistinguishable from our choice of presentation
> for
> > the default privilege case.
>
> I haven't thought off this yet. The attached v3 of my initial patch
> does that. It also includes Laurenz' fix to no longer ignore \pset null
> (minus the doc changes that suggest using \pset null to distinguish
> between default and empty privileges because that's no longer needed).

Thank you.

It looks good to me as-is, with one possible nit.

I wonder if it would be clearer to say:

"If the Access privileges column is *blank* for a given object..."

instead of "empty" to avoid having both "empty [string]" and "empty
privileges" present in the same paragraph and the empty string not
pertaining to the empty privileges.

David J.