Re: Where clause in pg_dump: need help

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Prashanth Adiyodi <Prashantha(at)celltick(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Where clause in pg_dump: need help
Date: 2016-07-07 15:08:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Prashanth Adiyodi <Prashantha(at)celltick(dot)com>
wrote:

> Dear Team,
>

> I am working on a script where I need to take backup of certain tables (or
> a database) using the “*date_trunc('day', NOW() - interval '1 month');*”
> as a where clause. I have read online that this is achievable with the “t”
> option and I have tried the below command
>

> pg_dump --table=re_userstatus --data-only --column-inserts -t
> "date_trunc('day', NOW() - interval '1 month')" comp_db > data1.sql
>

> but this does not work, could you please help with the correct syntax or
> redirect me to any documentation which implements this, I am a newbee to
> Postgres SQL and I need this help from you, my pg_dump version is
>

> *pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 9.3.4*

​There is no provision in pg_dump to add custom where clauses in the manner
you describe. If you need a partial dump of a table you will need to write
a psql script and tell it to do exactly what you want.

​The options available to you are documented.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/app-pgdump.html

You will note that your "--table" and your "-t" are the same...all they do
is select (entire) tables.​

David J.