Re: ALTER SYSTEM is equal to editing postgresql.auto.conf, not postgres.conf

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vladimir Svedov <vodevsh(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER SYSTEM is equal to editing postgresql.auto.conf, not postgres.conf
Date: 2017-07-13 15:35:54
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:53 AM, <vodevsh(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/config-setting.html
>
> &gt; The already-mentioned ALTER SYSTEM command provides a SQL-accessible
> means
> of changing global defaults; it is functionally equivalent to editing
> postgresql.conf
>
> Should not it be ...to editing postgresql.auto.conf?.. I know user is not
> supposed to edit postgresql.auto.conf but this is what ALTER SYSTEM does,
> not touching the postgres.conf - isn&#39;t is confusing in manual?..

​I think it is fine; but if being picky I'd probably say:

"[...] of changing global default as an alternative to editing
postgres.conf"

It is functionally equivalent from the perspective of the runtime
environment of the system. It is not mechanically equivalent since, as you
say, the contents of postgres.conf are not actually changed.

David J.