Re: BUG #14545: Unable to retrieve parameter mode 'VARIADIC'

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: ppoojari(at)erwin(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #14545: Unable to retrieve parameter mode 'VARIADIC'
Date: 2017-02-14 21:57:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 12:11 PM, <ppoojari(at)erwin(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference: 14545
> Logged by: Prajval Poojari
> Email address: ppoojari(at)erwin(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.5.6
> Operating system: Windows 10 Pro
>
> Hi
> i ran a simple select query as
> "select pa.parameter_mode from information_schema as pa where
> pa.parameter_mode = 'VARIADIC' "
> and the DB returned me a null list.
> I had already created a function with the parameter mode as VARIADIC.
> Just wondering if there is some other specific way to retrieve this mode.

​I just get an error when I try that - I think you are missing the
"parameters" table specification.

​CREATE FUNCTION variadictest(VARIADIC vargs text[])
RETURNS text
AS $$
SELECT 'test'::text;
$$
LANGUAGE sql;

# select data_type from information_schema.parameters WHERE specific_name ~
'variadictest';
-> "ARRAY"

While imperfect locating any ARRAY data_type argument positioned last would
be accurate if potentially imprecise (i.e., possible false positives).

There may be (probably is) a PostgreSQL-specific catalog that will contain
the desired level of detail. Information Schema is "least common
denominator" in nature which may explain the lack of specificity here.

David J.