Re: BUG #14280: Error in PostgreSQL - could not extend file "base...": File too large

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: prikshat(at)cadence(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #14280: Error in PostgreSQL - could not extend file "base...": File too large
Date: 2016-08-05 14:54:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 2:41 AM, <prikshat(at)cadence(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference: 14280
> Logged by: Prikshat Heera
> Email address: prikshat(at)cadence(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.2.16
> Operating system: Linux
>
> A table has 400 columns. While inserting data into this table, We are
> getting the error - "could not extend file "base/16385/16872": File too
> large".
> After that, we vacuumm'ed and reindex'ed the table and insert worked fine.
> Please evaluate and let us know if this has been fixed in 9.3 ?

​Most likely whatever "it" is has not been fixed. 9.2 is still active ​so
any fix would have been back-patched to it. If "the problem" goes away in
9.3 is would be purely coincidental.

With the information provided diagnostics seems problematic - since it
would likely first require getting a machine into the failing mode which
your's no longer is and there is no obvious reproduction approach.

Which Linux?

Possibly a bit more guessing could be had from someone knowledgeable with
the code surrounding that error path but this is awfully light, transient,
and potentially machine specific, to track down. Working toward
reproduction or posting back while the machine is failing (if it ever comes
up again) seem like necessary next steps.

David J.