Re: pg_dump dump catalog ACLs

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump dump catalog ACLs
Date: 2016-03-02 21:51:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> wrote:

> On 03/02/2016 12:54 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Joe Conway (mail(at)joeconway(dot)com) wrote:
> >>
> >> I was thinking the supporting syntax might be used by extensions, for
> >> example.
> >
> > I tend to agree with Tom that we don't really need SQL syntax for this.
>
> > I don't see any reason it couldn't be used by extensions also, though
> > we'd have to do a bit more work on pg_dump to make it actually dump
> > out any non-default ACLs for extension-owned objects.
>
> Without any syntax, what does the extension do, directly insert into
> this special catalog table?

​The desire in the thread I linked was for the user, not the extension, to
alter the permissions. In that context (and possibly here as well)
PostgreSQL would (somehow?) recognize the ​target as being special and thus
requiring adding or updating an entry into the supplemental catalog table
when the usual GRANT/REVOKE SQL command is issued.

​In effect any object dependent upon an EXTENSION or that already exists in
this special catalog table would need to have the supplemental procedure
executed.

David J.