Re: Seeking the correct term of art for the (unique) role that is usually called "postgres"—and the mental model that underlies it all

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bryn Llewellyn <bryn(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general list <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Seeking the correct term of art for the (unique) role that is usually called "postgres"—and the mental model that underlies it all
Date: 2022-10-27 02:00:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 6:33 PM Bryn Llewellyn <bryn(at)yugabyte(dot)com> wrote:

> The descriptive designation "the role that owns the SQL part of the
> implementation of PostgreSQL" is too much of a mouthful for daily use.

Don't think it's documented but I like "bootstrap user" which I've seen
bandied about here a bit.

It isn't that special but if the bootstrap user name and o/s user name are
not the same name then you've broken an almost universal convention that
exists to make stuff like logging it with peer authentication work better.

David J.