Re: doc: Bring mention of unique index forced transaction wait behavior outside of the internal section

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc: Bring mention of unique index forced transaction wait behavior outside of the internal section
Date: 2022-06-21 16:07:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 6:49 AM Aleksander Alekseev <
aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> > It's basically a glorified cross-reference. I didn't dislike directing
> the reader to the internals section enough to try and establish a better
> location for the main content.
>
> One problem I see is that:
>
> + [..], but as there is no pre-existing data, visibility checks are
> unnecessary.
>
> ... allows a wide variety of interpretations, most of which will be
> wrong. And all in all I find an added paragraph somewhat cryptic.

Yeah, I'd probably have to say "but since no existing record is being
modified, visibility checks are unnecessary".

Is there a specific mis-interpretation that first came to mind for you that
I can consider specifically?

> If the goal is to add a cross-reference I suggest keeping it short,
> something like "For additional details on various corner cases please
> see ...".

That does work, and I may end up there, but it feels unsatisfying to be so
vague/general.

David J.