Re: controlling psql's use of the pager a bit more

From: David Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: controlling psql's use of the pager a bit more
Date: 2014-11-13 18:03:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> +1
> >
> > +1 from me, too.
>
> me three (as long as the current behaviors are not messed with and the
> new stuff is 'opt in' somehow -- I also use the force quit option to
> less).

​Being able to use "\pset pager"​

​to toggle the capability seems useful.

Thus I'd suggest establishing a new "pager_minlines"​ option that if unset
(default) maintains the current behavior but which can have a value (0 to
int_max) where 0 ends up basically doing the same thing as "always" mode
for "pager". Leaving the value blank will cause the option to be unset
again and revert to the current behavior.

David J.