Re: Correct handling of blank/commented lines in PSQL interactive-mode history

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Correct handling of blank/commented lines in PSQL interactive-mode history
Date: 2021-09-06 14:50:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 7:13 AM Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I've attached a patch that corrects the behaviour.
> For the type of lines mentioned, the patch makes the history behave
> more like Bash history.

I have my doubts that you've really fixed anything here since Bash is a
line-oriented shell while psql is a statement-oriented one. This is a
feature.

What you are observing is, I think, a side-effect of that fact that
comments cannot terminate statements. That seems reasonable. In short,
your BEFORE results make sense and don't require fixing.

David J.